Saturday, February 09, 2008

Red Deer

We are home from Red Deer. I'm so tired and I really would love to be taking a nap, but I know if I don't write something now, I may not ever.

We headed up to Red Deer yesterday afternoon (through some crazy weather!) so that we could catch the P2 Tyro girls from the club. They did awesome and I'm glad we went up early to watch them. I love watching gymnastics in general and when any of our girls do well, I feel proud. And they did well!

We headed to the hotel later than I'd hoped and grabbed dinner at Moxies in the hotel. Noah got to bed a little later than she probably should have but I wanted to straighten her hair after dinner so it wouldn't be a big poof ball again. Anthony and I shared one bed and gave Noah the other one hoping that she would get a better sleep that way but oh my...those beds at the Sandman are tiny! I swear they are smaller than a normal double bed. Anyways - I did not sleep at all. Maybe 3 hours in total. It didn't help that I am still sick - Still coughing and hacking and feeling ill all around.

Noah did ok at the meet. She had an Olympic rotation - Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor - which she loves, so we started off on the right foot.
Vault sucked though. What else is new? This is the story of her gym career...and that of many other girls at our club. So she competes this damn skill that I have never, ever seen her land properly. I just do not understand the coaches decision to keep making her compete it when she never lands it. The majority of her competitors competed an easier vault and scored much higher. In fact, Noah was tied for second last. Bad.
Bars was clean. However - she is competing a very easy routine. She should have several harder skills in there soon...hopefully within the month - in time for our next meet. Her score was ok but nothing to jump for joy over.
Beam was good. She finally landed her back-walkover/back-handspring combination...even though she couldn't stick it in warm up! She got her only medal on this event - silver - and that gave her a big grin.
Floor was ok. I thought it looked better than the mark she got...but maybe I am just a biased parent. She did not do her full-twist but did a front layout instead. Apparently they are worth the same. Hmmm...someone should have told her that last week at Omega!
All-Around she came 6th. Ok but she is better than that - She has work to do. I just hope that she realizes that on her own.

We stayed for the next session which included the pre-novice, national novice and national open girls from our gym. It is always great to watch that caliber of gymnastics...but we left before they were finished all events...I can only ask so much from my husband!

All-in-all, not a bad weekend of gymnastics.

No comments: